Search This Blog

0 comments

No, Priyanka Chopra has not become a traffic signal (that is Neetu Chandra's department). The slim, red hot Priyanka Chopra has become the brand ambassador of NDTV Greenathon 2, where she will spread information and awareness about global warming and how we can save the planet.

Here is what she has to say about maintaining the quality of the environment (source mid-day):

How environment conscious are you?
My environmental consciousness has been growing over the years and today, I make it an effort to incorporate as much as I can into everyday life. I have even tried to ensure that my team and everyone in my house also make the effort. I'm learning something new about the environment everyday and I am trying to put many things into practice. My association with this Greenathon is also a step in that direction!

Describe five things you do to conserve Earth's resources.
Conserve electricity - switch off lights and AC's whenever not needed.
Save water - switching off taps, ensuring that the washing machine is used only once in three days.
Car-pooling - Whether it's me or my team, I make sure we minimise the number of cars being used.
Saving paper - As much as possible, all my work is done electronically. I also make it a practice to recycle paper in my office and home. I'm also working towards ensuring that my family, friends and staff also do the above with all seriousness. Every little effort counts.

What do you think of the ban on SUVs in the US to curb emission of carcinogenic gases? Should there be a similar one in India?
Well the good part is, that the craze for SUVs is not so rampant in the country. In India, the demand for small cars which offer good mileage will still prevail over large, gas guzzling SUVs. What we should be concentrating on is reducing the harmful emissions from the older cars, cabs, buses and trucks on the roads today, which spew venomous black smoke that is also very harmful to the environment.

What are the biggest dangers to the environment?
Deforestation; the increase of garbage and sewage being produced every day; the reduction in animal life; increased concretisation of our cities, towns and villages; clogging of major rivers and arteries, melting of the glaciers; changes in climate patterns; the depleting ozone because of harmful gasses polluting the airĂ¢?¦ the dangers are growing by the day!

Do you think more celebrities need to endorse similar causes?
I think creating awareness is very important and if a celebrity can help bring focus to an important cause like this, then yes of course, they should!

Do you think the area you live in is environmentally healthy?
Far from it. I think the biggest issue is that of pollution and garbage. While people are very conscious within their homes, they don't care about the environment outside their houses. Garbage everywhere, people littering from their cars and even from their kitchen windows! What can we do... start small. Stop littering, save water and electricity with simple actions, plant a few trees in your building compound... there's so much you can do.



Share this:
Spread the word, using :
Share/Save/Bookmark
Bookmark These:

Subscribe Using These:
Subscribe

0 comments

Post a Comment

2leep.com